Corn is a cereal grain, the most popular and accepted in the world. We must know how many calories in corn on the cob. It belongs to the grass family, and we use its seeds in some dishes. Many varieties are available in the world.
“We may receive a small commission with no extra charge when you purchase through our given links.”
The most popular varieties are popcorn and sweet, but its ingredients use in processed food. These foods are tortillas, chips of tortilla, polenta, cornmeal, corn flour, corn syrup, and corn oil.
Whole grain corn is a portion of very healthy food like other cereal grain. It has the right quantity of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Try to make a food combination in your diet; you must know how many calories in cheese. You can also combine it with your daily meals.
The variety of yellow color is widely available in the world. But people use red, orange, purple, blue, white, and black colors corns. You can also use chia seed oil with grain to get more health benefits.
This article tells you in detail how many calories in corn and everything related to corn.
The one serving means 75 grams of corn has the following nutrition and calories. You can see how many calories in 75 grams of corn.
How many Calories in corn and Nutrition facts per serving mean 100 grams of boiled yellow corn (1):
- Calories: 96
- Protein: 3.4 grams
- Sugar: 4.5 grams
- Fat: 1.5 grams
- Fiber: 2.4 grams
- Water: 73%
- Carbs: 21 grams
How many Calories in Corn of 100 grams on the cob for Each Nutrient with percentage:
- Carbohydrate: 68.4%
- Protein: 14%
- Fat: 17.5%
The corn composes of carbs like other cereal grains. The dry weight of corn contains 28% of carbs, a small amount of sugar. The sweet corn contains sugar in the form of sucrose. It’s a low starch product with high sugar. No doubt, sugar adds in sweet corn, but we can say it a high glycemic food. Our intestinal system rapidly digests the carbs (2).
Corn contains average the lowest amount of fiber. A bag of 112 grams of popcorn has only 16 grams of fiber. It fulfills the daily need of men 42% and women 64%. One more thing, the different types of corn contain varying quantities of fiber (3).
Corn contains a good source of protein. It depends upon the variety of corn; the normal range is 10% – 15%. The sufficient amount of protein in corn is zeins. It has 44% to 79% of the total protein content. If we see the quality of zeins protein, it’s not very good. It’s a deficient protein because it does not contain essential amino acids (4).
It’s low-fat food contain almost 5% to 6%. The side product of corn, that has extreme fats that use to make corn oil for cooking. The corn oil after refining, mainly composed of polyunsaturated fatty acids. While on the other hand, monosaturated and saturated fats make up the rest (5).
Vitamins and Minerals
The corn has many vitamins and minerals; the number of vitamins is different; it depends upon the types of corn. The minerals are available in popcorn, and vitamins are in sweet corn.
Following are the vitamins and minerals available in popcorn:
- Manganese: It is an essential element available in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. The corn has phytic acid, that is why it absorbed poorly from corn.
- Phosphorus: It is available in both sweet and popcorn. Phosphorus plays a vital role in the growth of body tissues.
- Magnesium: Those are lack of this essential mineral, can increase the risk of cardiac disease.
- Zinc: Due to phytic acid in corn, it poorly absorbs. But on the other hand, it is the essential element for the functions of the human body.
- Copper: It is such an excellent antioxidant; the western diet doesn’t contain its right quantity.
Sweet corn contains a lot of vitamins that includes:
- Pantothenic Acid: It is known as vitamin B5; it does not make deficient because it found in all foods. So, very rarely, we see anybody has a deficiency of pantothenic acid.
- Folate: It is known as vitamin B9 and folic acid, folate plays an essential role in pregnancy.
- Vitamin B6: It relates to the most common vitamins called pyridoxine. B6 is a necessary vitamin for various functions of the body.
- Niacin: It calls vitamin B6, which does not absorb in corn. Cook the corn with lime can make it for more absorption.
- Potassium: It controls blood pressure and improves heart health.
Corn has the right amount of bioactive plant compounds that boost your health. If we compare it with other cereal grains, it raises the higher amounts of antioxidants.
- Ferulic Acid: The corn contains the polyphenol antioxidants that available in higher quantity than wheat, oats, and rice.
- Anthocyanins: It is an essential antioxidant responsible for the color of yellow, blue, and red corn.
- Zeaxanthin: It is a plant carotenoid and improves the health of the eye.
- Lutein: Another most essential carotenoids available in corn. Lutein is an antioxidant that protects the eyes from oxidative damage.
- Phytic acid: It helps to absorb dietary minerals like zinc and iron.
Popcorn is a highly accepted and most popular whole grain foods in the United States. It is the whole grains that consume its own as a snack. It also uses as the main ingredient in bread and tortillas.
Whole-grain foods have many health benefits, like reducing the risk of heart and type 2 diseases. It is a portion of a very healthy meal on its own; most people use it with soft drinks. Some loaded more salt and cooking oils, these all are harmful to health. You should avoid adding oil by making popcorn.
You can Buy our Best Selected Brands of Sweet Corn and Popcorn from Amazon:
The Bottom Line:
Corn is one of the most accepted and consumes cereal grains in the world. It is full of many minerals and vitamins. The yellow corn is very beneficial for eye health. It’s an excellent source of antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin. Due to this reason, people love to eat it in the form of popcorn and sweet corn. These are lovely diets for better health.